Sunday, March 6, 2011

February 12, 2011 11PM

It’s the end of a long day.  This place we are staying at is really nice and I have seen monkeys, but (to the dismay of some of you) they are not running around in our rooms or anything like that.  We had sessions in the morning about some of the issues that we may encounter and the goals that are set forth for the work we will do.  I feel like we heard a lot about gender roles in Uganda as opposed to the US.  In Uganda, it is illegal to be homosexual, yet it is common for men to hold hands in public.  On the other hand, it is uncommon for two men to share a hotel room.  I found it interesting how much they stressed LGBT issues.  I’m not even sure if anyone in our group is gay.  All LGBT volunteers have to remain “in the closet” otherwise it could pose a risk to their safety.  It wasn’t that long ago that a gay rights activist was killed in Uganda.

In the afternoon, we had our medical interview and some people had their placement interview.  I have my placement interview on Monday.  We also received our medical kit today.  After dinner, I learned how to play Cribbage and then they showed a movie.  We watched “Volunteers”.  I would highly recommend watching it although it is nothing like what it is actually like to be in Peace Corps.  I also got a chance to talk to my mom today.  One of the Peace Corps staff members was letting everyone make a phone call home (your tax dollars hard at work).  It was nice to talk to her and hear that everything was going well there and that Baby was feeling better since her leg injury.

I’m getting along with all the other PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees).  We have a good group here.  I’m just anxious to get our regional assignments sometime at the end of next week.  We are learning 9 different languages.  We will be in groups of four and five learning language.  These people will also probably be the people closest to our site.  Even though we don’t get our exact site, I think everyone is curious to find out a little more information.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I really did expect that there would be monkeys running around where you slept.

    ReplyDelete