Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 14, 2011 7 PM

So the foods here sometimes are amazing and sometimes you don’t understand why people eat them.  This country has an amazing resource in their fruits.  So far I’ve eaten banana (obviously), pineapple, watermelon, mango, guava, papaya, pear, apple, passion fruit and jack fruit.  I don’t think I’ve had fruit in this country that I didn’t like.  And a lot of them are grown locally.  I think the apples and the watermelon are imported, but my host mom told me I can go pick guavas in our yard whenever I want.  I also see jack fruits everywhere.  The Ugandans call papaya “popo”.  The first I heard that from one of the volunteers I thought the police where coming (haha).  I always like the mangos.  Until I came here, I don’t think I had ever had an actual mango (just mango flavored things like waterice).  Trust me, mango flavored things don’t do the actual fruit justice.

The vegetables here are also pretty good.  They have tomatoes, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, egg plant, green beans, pumpkin, green peppers and probably some others that I’m forgetting.  The Ugandans often get the names for tomatoes and egg plant mixed up.  They also call regular potatoes “irish”.  The sweet potatoes aren’t like yams that we have at home.  They look like regular potatoes but they are sweeter.  They call green beans French beans.

Usually every day I eat breakfast, break tea, lunch, evening tea and dinner.  Breakfast can be anything from some fruit and bread with margarine or peanut butter to scrambled eggs to French toast.  Break tea is something we get on days we have training.  It is usually at about 10 or 10:30 in the morning.  We have black tea and a small snack.  The snack can be samosas (which is kind of like a spring roll), fried dough, chips, ground nuts (which is what they call peanuts), or corn muffins.  Lunch is usually some combination of rice, pumpkin, vegetables, meat, beans, matooke and some kind of fruit (usually pineapple).  Evening tea is kind of just a little snack I get when I get home at night.  I have tea or passion fruit juice and some snack.  Usually it is some fruit (like bananas and jack fruit), little cookies,and/or sometimes some bread with peanut butter.  And dinner is usually at about 9 PM.  It almost always has matooke in it somewhere.  If there is no matooke, we usually have some form of banana.  Sometimes we have rice, irish, posho, beans, or French beans.  We also usually have fruit for dessert.  It’s usually pineapple or bananas.

So needless to say, I wish I could bring some of the fruits back to the U.S. with me, but I also really don’t want to eat matooke everyday (even though my host mom’s matooke is pretty good).

No comments:

Post a Comment