Friday, March 25, 2011

March 19, 2011 7:40 PM

Today was our tour of Kampala.  Let’s just say it was a little ridiculous.  So we were divided up into groups of three and put with one of our trainers (a PCVT, language trainer or tech trainer).  The trainer was supposed to show us around to certain places like the taxi parks and then show us anywhere else we wanted to go.  Kampala is a crazy place.  Just crossing the street was a huge challenge.  There were people, cars, matotoos (taxis), and boda bodas (motorcycles) everywhere.  It had rained pretty hard last night, so the streets were covered in mud.  By the end of the day, my feet were covered in this black mud that I still can’t quite get off.  Everywhere you went there were people trying to sell you something.  I guess I could compare it to New York City, but much more extreme, especially because we stand out as white people who probably have money.  Before going, I was looking forward to going to Kampala, but after getting there it was a little disappointing.  There were some good things about the day though.  You can buy food anywhere on the streets of Kampala.  We bought slices of pineapple for 200 shillings (about 10 cents American).  We also got soft serve ice cream today.  I was able to get a powermatic today, so I don’t have to worry anymore about blowing up my computer (and we got a group discount on them!).  When we were finished at the end of the day we had to take public transport home so we could see how it worked.  I don’t feel very confident in taking public transport anywhere still.  We went to the taxi park and our trainer led us to a taxi and it took us home, but I don’t have any clue how she knew which taxi to take.  Anyway…tomorrow is another day.  We are leaving for Kampala (to get transportation to Mbarara and then Ibanda) at about 7:30 AM.  It’ll be a long day but I’m looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment