Thursday, March 10, 2011

March 8, 2011 8:45 PM

My feet never seem to be clean here.  The dust from the roads makes them filthy almost instantaneously.  I don’t even see the point in cleaning my shoes.  So my feet keep going back into dirty shoes.  The Ugandans have the cleanest feet.  They will make themselves late just to clean their shoes.  There are some things in this country that I don’t think I will ever understand.

We have been getting most of our language lessons at the schools we are teaching at.  Our language teachers teach those in the Primary schools in the morning and then they come to our schools.  It does not seem to be working.  Either the conditions for the lesson are a lot better for primary or those in secondary don’t get nearly as long a lesson.  I think those of us that are in secondary are at a disadvantage just because of how and when we are getting language in.

Today was International Womens Day.  Everyone’s homestay families were confused as to why we didn’t have off from training.  To commemorate we had a session on gender roles in the U.S. and in Uganda.  We started the session with an activity where we reversed our gender roles.  The guys were to act like Ugandan women and we were to act like Ugandan men.  All the girls found it entertaining.  The guys were waiting on us.  They weren’t allowed to look at us in the face.  They had to kneel in front of us out of respect.  We were supposed to tell them how weak they were and how everything they did was an accomplishment for us, not for them.  Although this is not exactly what we, as American females, are experiencing in Uganda, this is the reality for many women living in Uganda.  In honor of International Womens Day, we got out of sessions at about 3:30.

I had an interesting conversation with my host mom today after dinner about the difference between pets in the U.S. and Uganda.  My host family has a dog.  His name is Promise.  For the first week he didn’t really like me.  But that’s just because he is trained to be a guard dog and I was seen as an intruder.  He has now gotten used to me.  I really have the urge to pet him, but I’m a little afraid of how the family will react.  My host mom was asking me if my dogs slept in the house in the U.S.  When I told her they did, she thought it was really funny.  Then she asked me when they guarded me.  I had to explain to her that my dogs are not big and they are not guard dogs.  I wanted to tell her that my dog sleeps in my bed at night, but I was afraid that was too much for one night.  I’m enjoying this cross-cultural exchange and I think my family is amused by the way Americans live.

No comments:

Post a Comment