Monday, April 4, 2011

March 30, 2011 7 PM

Last night in the middle of the night we had the heaviest rain I’ve experienced since being here.  I don’t know if it was as intense as I thought it was, but on the tin roof it sounds like buckets falling from the sky.  And then also with the wind, thunder and lightning, it is scary.  It makes you wonder if your roof is going to cave in, but it never does.  It also makes for a challenging walk in the morning.  It was still raining pretty hard when I got up this morning.  I had to use an umbrella to get to the bathroom.  By the time I made it to the conference center I had to wash my feet.

We had our mock LPI today.  I think/hope everyone in my group did well.  None of us used any English, which is the most important thing, but I’m skeptical that I would have passed had it been the real thing.  We will find out tomorrow how we did exactly and we should be getting feedback.  Then we have two more weeks to study.

We had an interesting session today on working in war-torn areas.  At first, I didn’t think it was very relevant to me, because I’m not going to Northern Uganda where the war was.  But then I realized that there are people displaced into every region of the country.  They also talked about how there are refugees from every one of Uganda’s neighbors, the most relevant to me probably being the DRC and Rwanda.  

Tonight when I went down to the bathing area to bath, I saw the coolest lightning storm.  It wasn’t raining at all, but there were these big puffy clouds in the distance that looked like they were lighting up.  At first I wasn’t sure what it was, but then I figured out it was lightning.  What seemed strange to me was that there was no thunder.  It just looked like there was a light show in the clouds.  It’s probably just a sign of more rain tonight, but it was totally worth it just to get to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment