Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17, 2011 7:30 AM--Movie Review: The Last King of Scotland

I finally got around to watching “The Last King of Scotland” last night.  It’s a really good movie.  I would suggest watching it if you are interested in the history and the story of Idi Amin, but, just a warning, it is a little graphic, especially at the end.  It is interesting watching a movie about history like that of a country you are in.  In a way, it can help you understand the culture better, knowing where it is coming from.  It also kind of blows my mind that some people still look at Amin fondly just because of what he did for the economy.  But I guess there are some things I may never understand.

In other news, I think I’m going to go out to Masaka in June to help with another 50th Anniversary service project that one of the volunteers out there is organizing.  Masaka is only about 3 hours from here on the way to Kampala.  And then right before IST, I’m planning to head up to Lira and then from there I’m going to go to IST.  It will save me about half the trip because I have to go to Kampala anyway.  I may plan some other trips in between, but I have to get my class schedule first.  Most volunteers that I talk to are saying they are only scheduled to teach three days a week, so there might be some good opportunity for weekend trips in there.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jen,

    Karissa told me about your blog. Glad you're doing well. :)

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, Dad & I ordered " The Last King of Scotland". It should arrive next week. We look forward to watching the movie.
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete