Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21, 2011 8:30 PM

I went into Mbarara today to meet up with Emily and Ryan.  We ended up getting lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, City Top, and then we did a lot of much needed shopping.  It was kind of funny to me, because I know Mbarara better than they do, I was kind of showing them around.  And it seemed like every store I took them in, the people knew me.  I got a lot of much needed food and other household items.  I also found a toaster oven at a reasonable price, which I think I’m going to buy the next time I’m in town.  Now that I have another bed, I think Emily and Ryan are going to come visit me sometime soon.

Sometimes the weirdest things end up being the most unnerving things.  Tonight, right as I was finishing my dinner, I realize that there was a bug flying around my kitchen (not at all unusual).  It looked like a cross between a dragonfly and a moth.  I’m still not sure what it was.  Before I knew it, my whole house was filled with maybe 25 or 30 of these flying insects.  At first, it really freaked me out.  I figured they were getting in somehow and I think they were coming in because of the rain.  So, I started to kill them, one by one.  But no matter how many I seemed to kill there always seemed to be more.  This is when I started getting really unhinged.  I realized that they were only in rooms that the lights were on.  So I started by turning out the lights in every room but my sitting room.  And then I figured out that they were getting in through a small crack in my window.  Once I covered it up, I continued on the killing rampage.  Eventually I got them all and I was able to relax.  Now all I have to do is clean up the mess I made.  I have dead bugs all over my floor.  I also realized that when the lights aren’t on, the bugs die.  When I went back into my kitchen there were several dead bugs on the floor.  Needless to say, I really need to clean my floor tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. those are the white ants/termites! they swarm out of those huge mounds and then head for light- they attacked my house one night a few weeks ago because i'd left my security lights on, and my principal and his son were outside my house for about two hours (2am - 4am) sweeping them up to eat. I have no idea why they only come out sometimes when it rains, but whenever i notice them i call it an early night, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! The bug situation sounded scary. I hope they are not biting bugs. I am glad you figured out where they were getting in & how to stop them by turning off lights.
    Also on another note I just love your rolling time line until my visit!!!
    I have multiple lists of stuff to buy, stuff to do ect. ect. all over the dining rm table. You know me I thrive on planning & organizing. See you soon, Mom.

    ReplyDelete