Monday, May 9, 2011

May 3, 2011 5:00 PM

Every day since I’ve been cooking for myself here Juliet, my neighbor, has been bringing me cucumbers.  Now I don’t normally really like cucumbers, but when my neighbors were cooking for me it was one of the only things that they didn’t destroy by adding massive quantities of oil and/or salt to.  So, they have kind of grown on me (no pun intended).  Well, today I finally found out exactly where they are coming from.  The school has a garden.  I don’t know who started it, whether staff or students.  And I don’t know exactly who is supposed to benefit from it.  I don’t know if the staff takes all the crops or if the school uses them to feed the students.  But either way, I got more cucumbers today and I got some green beans (or as the Ugandans call them, French beans).  It is quite an extensive garden.  They grow green beans, cucumber, egg plant (both the small bitter ones and the larger ones that we have in the U.S.), tomatoes, corn (which they call maize and it is not sweet like we have at home), and cassava (a root that tastes kind of like potato but is very dry).  Juliet and Ellen took me there to pick vegetables and we had a little lesson in what we do and do not grow in the U.S. and the different names we use for certain things.

No comments:

Post a Comment