Monday, May 9, 2011

May 6, 2011 3:15 PM

So I’ve now been here for two weeks and my bathroom is still not finished.  I haven’t seen anyone work on it in about a week.  I don’t mind using the pit latrine.  It’s getting water that’s become a challenge.  I was getting water from the tap on the other side of my neighbor’s house, which wasn’t too bad.  It was only about a 20 meter walk.  However, that tap is not working right now (I don’t know why), so I have to go up to the school to get water.  The school has a rain tank that I’ve been getting water from.  The only problem is that it is about maybe a quarter mile walk to get water.  It doesn’t sound so bad, but I use a 20 liter jerry can of water every day.  I don’t know exactly how heavy that is, but I can only make it about 20 meters before I want to fall over.  I also have to get a piece of plastic tubing from my neighbor to use to siphon out the water from the tank.  And to connect the plastic tubing I have to climb up on to the platform that the tank sinks on.  It’s not that big of a deal but it gets to be a little bit of a production.  The only part I really can’t do is the walk back with the water.  So far I’ve had my neighbor’s children help me and some of the students from the school as well.  I will be really happy when the tap in my bathroom is working and I won’t have to go anywhere to get water.  On a better note, the guy came the other day to work on the wiring.  I now have lights in 3 out of 4 rooms and on my back porch.  I also have an electrical outlet in every room.  He just needs to come back and put in a switch for the last room and put a light out front of my house and then he will be finished.  So for the past few days I’ve been cooking in my kitchen, which is somehow much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment