Monday, May 9, 2011

May 7, 2011 3:45 PM--Banana Plantation

This afternoon Juliet came over and asked me if I wanted to go to the plantation with her.  I didn’t know exactly what that was or where we were going, but I went anyway.  Apparently the school has a huge plantation on the other side of the tarmac.  They grow all their matooke there.  They also grow beans, papaya, guavas, tomatoes and Irish potatoes.  So we spent the better part of an hour picking beans and guavas, so now I have both.  I also found out today that Juliet doesn’t actually live next door to me.  She lives over near the plantation.  She took me to her place after we left the plantation.  It is kind of just like a dorm room.  She said that she takes care of the guys who live next door to me.  They are friends of hers.  The one I see the most apparently has mental problems and doesn’t really know what is going on.  I kind of realized that before she told me, because I always say hello to him and he never responds, which for Ugandans is unheard of.  I feel like I keep learning more and more what goes on around here every day.  And I also enjoy any excuse to get out of the house, because things are getting quite boring here.  I can’t wait to go to Bushenyi next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment