Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 14, 2011 10:30 PM

So on my way back from Rakai on Sunday, I had the best and the worst bus ride all in one bus.  We first took a taxi to Masaka and then got a bus from there.  The first bus that came by was full so we didn’t get on.  The next bus that came was also full, but the conductor told us to get on anyway and stand “for now.”  “For now” meant an hour.  It’s funny the things that go through your head when all you want to do it sit down.  I thought about sitting on the floor, but it’s so dirty it almost didn’t seem worth it.  I thought about offering someone money for their seat, but I wasn’t sure if that would work.  Eventually we actually got seats.  I thought we were about half way there, but I didn’t really care how long it took from that point.  I was just so glad to be sitting.  I almost instantaneously fell asleep.  When I woke up I thought things looked familiar, like we were there, but when I looked at my watched I didn’t believe it.  But it was true, it took us only an hour and 45 minutes to get from Masaka to Mbarara when it probably should have taken almost two and a half hours.  So, needless to say, it was the worst bus ride because we had to stand for so long, but it was also the best bus ride because we got there so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment