Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26, 2011 9:15 AM

Electricity goes out a lot here.  It’s funny to think of how I react when it goes out sometimes.  For instance, I often times turn my computer off if I’m not using it so I can save the battery for later, if power is out for a long time.  I also can’t cook if power is out because my gas stove still isn’t working.  All I have is an electric burner and an electric toaster oven.  This is probably my biggest challenge.  Luckily power hasn’t been out for days at a time (at least not yet), so I won’t starve.  Plus, I usually take lunch at school anyway.  And I can take dinner there too if I want to.  However, I find myself considering going to bed at 7 o’clock at night and getting up in the middle of the night (or whenever power comes back) to cook dinner.  To me, this seems totally logical and normal.  I guess the longest power has been out so far is about 12 hours.  It was out all day one day.  There was a joint sigh of relief from the staff members in the staff room when it finally came back.  People here do alter their lives because of power.  No one really sits in the staff room if the power is out and it has nothing to do with the fact that it may be a little dark without power.  The staff members just really like watching TV and without power they don’t see the point in staying in the staff room.  I feel bad for those volunteers that don’t have power.  A volunteer in the West Nile, who has solar power, once told me that he doesn’t use his computer that much because he wants to save his power for his fan because where he is it is so so hot.  It’s these kinds of thoughts that go through your head that make it sound so crazy.  And being in the U.S. it’s hard to image living without power for days or weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment