Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 11, 2011 11:00 PM--Movie Review: Blood Diamond

I just watched the movie Blood Diamond.  It’s about diamond mining in Sierra Leone and the wars that happened there because of it.  I feel like this movie is a good emphasis of the relationship between devastation in Africa and the news that people see in America.  Some of the world’s worst tragedies and wars happen in Africa and odds are most Americans will never hear about it in their news.  Most of the time when these stories do make it to American news, they are short stories in the back of the newspaper.  They never seem to make the front page or the headlines.  You very rarely hear about these kinds of conflicts on TV news like CNN or MSNBC.  For some reason it is just not of interest to them.  I don’t understand why this is, because I think these stories are interesting and they definitely need to be heard.  After watching a movie like this, you realize that these wars affect us as Americans and we sometimes attribute to the causes of them.  These stories need to be heard by people around the world, so that even if you can’t do anything about it, you can appreciate what you have just a little bit more.  My dad likes to find interesting articles in the newspaper and send them to me.  They are often these kinds of stories that will never make the front page.  They aren’t always about war or even about Africa, but they are usually things that we find interesting and different, that most other people wouldn’t give a second glance.  So, if you find an interesting article that you think I might like, feel free to send it to me.  I like to hang them on my wall.  And if you get a chance, watch Blood Diamond.  It gives you a good perspective on what happens all too often in many African countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment