Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 11, 2011 6:15 PM

I’ve found that Ugandans don’t really use please and thank you very much or if they do use them, they don’t use them in the right context.  I think they don’t use please very much because in Runyankore (I’m not sure about other languages spoken in this country) there isn’t really a word that means please.  But even when I thank people, they don’t always seem to understand why I’m thanking them.  It’s not at all seen as rude to not thank people.  This culture is a lot more abrupt.  They say things how they are and they never wonder if what they are saying offends people.  In that same context, they don’t even think about being polite or worry about people who aren’t polite.  Politeness is something that is sometimes lost here.  I’ve also heard people say “please thank you” instead of just saying thank you.  It’s like they know this word, “please”, and they kind of know what it means, so they try to throw it in the conversation, but it doesn’t really work.

No comments:

Post a Comment