Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 26, 2011 4:00 PM--Kobusingye

The headmaster introduced me to the school’s Board of Governors today.  It was kind of nice and kind of annoying at the same time.  No one informed me that they were having a meeting until it was upon us.  So I was called up to the school because the headmaster wanted to see me, only to find that I was actually being invited to eat lunch with them.  Unfortunately I wasn’t hungry.  Luckily after we ate I was free to go.  But one good thing that came out of today was that the Board of Governors gave me a local name.  Finally someone gave me a local name!  The teachers have been asking me for a while what my local name is and when they find out I don’t have one, they say that the girls should give me one.  And seeing as how the girls still haven’t given me one, I was still without a local name.  So the Board of Governors called me Kobusingye, which means peace.  This is something that happens to most volunteers at some point or another.  It is a nice alternative to the locals calling you Mzungu.  It is a word in their language that they can pronounce and understand and it makes you less of an outsider.  So now I may have to get used to being called Obusingye Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment