Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22, 2011 10:30 PM--IST


So far training has been pretty uneventful.  Last week from Wednesday to Saturday we had our language IST.  It was really unstructured.  We had a schedule, but we kind of just did whatever we wanted.  To me, it seems like if you aren’t making it at site with the amount of language skills you already have, you’re not going to make it at site at all.  If we need our language, we will pick it up along the way.  So last week we did not spend a lot of time in training sessions.  Starting this morning we were supposed to start the rest of our in-service training, however, no one informed us of our schedule or when we had to be awake and productive.  But once we figured it out we started with legit training sessions.  Our counterparts were all supposed to arrive today, as well.  I don’t know if any counterpart is coming for me.  I don’t really work with any particular counterpart.  So when Peace Corps asked for my counterpart’s name and number, I just gave them the number for my headmaster.  And I figured that if he wanted to send someone, he will.  In a way, I’m kind of hoping no one comes, although it may be a good thing if the school sends someone.  So I guess I will see tomorrow whether or not a counterpart comes from my school.  I don’t feel too bad though, because I don’t know that many of the counterparts will come because Peace Corps was so unorganized with inviting them.

I think after today, most of us are sick of training already.  It is really nice to see everyone.  There were about 10 people in my group that I hadn’t seen since our swear-in.  But training is much more intensive than the laid-back atmosphere at most of our sites.  Most of us are just looking forward to going white water rafting this Saturday when we are done with training.

No comments:

Post a Comment