Friday, September 16, 2011

September 16, 2011 6:00 PM

Today I was invited to a Ugandan introduction ceremony.  An introduction ceremony can be closest compared to an American bridal shower.  I don’t really know how similar they really are (I’ll tell you after I go).  It is where they introduce the woman to be married.  I was invited by Juliet, the school secretary.  It’s her sister’s introduction ceremony next Saturday.  It should be an interesting cultural experience.  I’m sure I’ll get asked a million times to compare American wedding rituals and Ugandan wedding rituals.  Kind of like how at school (almost every day) I’m asked to compare the American school system with the Ugandan school system.

I’m also in the process of applying and nominating girls to go to Camp GLOW.  Camp GLOW is a girls empowerment camp put on by Peace Corps volunteers.  GLOW stands for Girls Leading Our World.  I applied to go myself (they’re only taking 15 volunteers) and I’m allowed to nominate 5 girls from my school to apply to go.  The girls have to be between 13 and 15 years old, so after talking to my headmaster, I think I’m going to nominate 5 girls from Senior 1, 2, and 3.  The camp is going to be in December right after the term ends, but I should know who is going (including myself) within the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment