Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 20, 2011 7:30 AM

After living here for a short time, you start to think in foreign currency instead of converting it into U.S. Dollars.  Part of this probably has to do with the fact that we get paid in Ugandan shillings and not U.S. Dollars.  I find that when I tell people in the U.S. how much something costs, they can’t imagine that I would even need to think about something so inexpensive.  But for us volunteers and the people who live here, everything is somewhat reasonably priced.  However, I guess this whole idea can go both ways.  Ugandans will ask me how much money people make in the U.S. and they think that all Americans are rich, but then when you explain to them that everything in the U.S. costs so much more and that the cost of living is much higher, they don’t want to believe you.  I guess they like to think that Americans are rich, because it fits their preconceived stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment