Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 8, 2011 6:15 PM--Computer Practicals

Today I finally finished with the computer practicals.  To me it was very long and kind of boring, but I think overall it was worth it.  You could tell there were a few of the girls who had used a computer before, but for the most part I don’t think that most them had ever used one before.  This made it all the more interesting.  This must have been what it was like when the first personal computer was created and they gave it to the first test subjects.  Most of the girls were totally fascinated by things.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of people so computer illiterate.  It’s kind of nice because there is a lot to show them and there is a lot of gratification in it.  Some of the girls constantly wanted to stray away from my lesson, but others were so thrilled when they did something I told them to do correctly.  I had at least one group who was totally terrified.  At the beginning of one of my lessons, after I told the girls to click on something, they just continued to stare at me and the computer without touching it.  I had to explain to them that they didn’t have to be scared of the computers and that they were allowed to touch them. 

I also somehow managed to give all of my lessons at the time I originally allotted.  This may seem obvious, but almost every lesson, at one point or another, got rescheduled.  Sometimes there were other people using the lab.  Sometimes I couldn’t locate the keys to the lab.  And one time I even had power go out for a minute or two.  But despite all of these little blips, I managed to give all of my lessons as planned.

I really want to try to get more computers in there, now more than ever.  Most of the girls kept asking me why we don’t do this more often.  And when I explained to them that we don’t have enough computers and we have too many girls, they all agreed, but you could tell most of them are just dying to get into the lab.  The headteacher wants to work it out starting next term so I can give practical lessons to some of the students that don’t take computers, like some of the higher level classes.  So I would stop teaching Math and focus solely on computers, which is what I originally wanted anyway.  But this could be very difficult without getting more computers.  Hopefully over the holiday I can work on fixing up the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment