Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 23, 2012 8:30 PM--World News

I find myself craving world news more than I ever thought I would.  At home I read Time Magazine every week and I’m constantly looking at news online as well as reading The Philadelphia Inquirer and The New York Times sporadically.  Not to mention watching World News every night on TV.  However, here many sources of world news are definitely lacking.

If I were to rely on what news I can get locally I would be left with local newspapers, which usually only contain local news and consider international sports to be the only thing worth mentioning in international news, and local news on TV, which is no different.  And then there is the few times a day that they air Aljazeera on one of the local channels.  Although whenever I get to see this it is usually in a somewhat noisy staff room, yet I’m usually craving the goings on of world events so much that I’m adamantly reading the news headlines as they scroll on the bottom of the screen (although this only happens if I happen to be sitting close enough to the TV to see them and if no one is standing in front of the TV).  I think the other staff members must think I’m crazy at how mesmerized by the news I am, when in fact I’m just straining to get some information, yet on the other hand I also don’t think they understand the need to know so much about world events (probably because most of them will never leave Uganda and what happens in the world will never actually effect them).

So needless to say, I very much look forward to and appreciate every time I get a Time magazine or news article in one of my packages.  When I get home I’m going to have so much access to news, I won’t know what to do with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment