Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 11, 2012 8:00 PM--Compromising Principles

Being here and travelling around so much has caused me to give up on some of my principles, especially when it comes to certain electronic devices.

I never used to understand why people needed a device like a Kindle.  Are people really too lazy to carry around a book if they want to read?  Do we really need to read on a screen as opposed to reading on paper?  I think that a lot of people have Kindles (and other similar devices) because they think it’s cool because it is the latest technology.  But being here where I can’t get any book I want like in America, travelling around so much and having a lot of time to read, I find having a Kindle very useful.  If I want a certain book I don’t have to wait for someone to mail it to me (which can take weeks).  I just buy it on Amazon, download it, and put it on my Kindle.  It couldn’t be easier.

Another device that I never liked when I was back home but have now found a need for, is a netbook.  I used to find netbooks more annoying than useful.  With the smaller keyboard it was more difficult to type and the smaller screen made it more difficult to see what you were doing.  But I think I only needed to travel around with my 15”+ computer a few times to realize when these netbooks would be useful.  Today, in fact, I just ordered an Acer netbook that my parents are going to bring me in May.  Travelling here is hard enough, I don’t need any extra pounds to be lugging around with me.

Now don’t misunderstand me.  I don’t know if I will still like these devices when I go home.  I may find them as useless as before.  But for now, especially with all the travelling I do and will do, these devices have found a purpose in my life.

1 comment:

  1. That is the computer I have, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete