Friday, March 23, 2012

March 23, 2012 5:00 PM

As many people know, I hit my one year mark about a month ago.  It’s funny how much you can adapt to a society in a year.  I find myself doing things that many Ugandans do that I was initially appalled by and I don’t even think twice about it. 

For example, I often throw trash on the ground or out the window of a bus or taxi.  This may sound awful, but the reality of it is that there isn’t any kind of trash receptacles, anywhere!  I guess after a while you get used to the fact that things like this are totally acceptable and there is no other practical alternative.  You just get used to it eventually.

Another example is that I’ve started arriving to meeting late.  This is not because I don’t value timeliness or that I have so little respect for the people I’m meeting with that I can’t show up on time.  The fact of the matter is that if I show up on time, I end up wasting at least an hour or two (or three or four) of my own time.  I would rather run the chance of showing up a few minutes after the meeting has started (which is never the time that was initially stated) than waste my time.  My time is worth more than that.  And as it turns out, showing up for meetings late is so common here that no even thinks twice when you show up late.

No comments:

Post a Comment