Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28, 2012 12:30 PM

As I went up to school today, I noticed that the computer lab was already open.  So, naturally, I looked in to see who was using it.  I often feel a bit protective of it because when things get disorganized or destroyed it impedes on my classes.  Anyway, the reason the lab was open was because they had brought in new computer desks this morning!  Last term, the school had chopped down quite a few trees in order to get the lumber, but I wasn’t sure what they were going to use it for.  Apparently, they were making desks for the computer lab and tables for the staff room.  But when I found out we were getting desks, I figured they would just be regular tables and I also thought I wouldn’t get that many tables.  But instead we got actual computer desks and there are enough to accommodate at least 30 computers!  They have partitions to indicate where each computer workspace should be.  This may seem somewhat inconsequential, but it isn’t.  Normally the tables in the computer lab can be taken from the lab and used for different events and functions in different places.  This is the main reason the lab gets disorganized and destroyed.  But because of the way these are designed, they are not very likely to be able to use them for anything but computers.  They are also nicely stained in a reddish-brown color.  They look really nice.  Hopefully over the next couple weeks I’ll get the okay to move the few computers we have to these new desks, because as it is, the old computers are still on the old tables.  Not only are the new desks in the way of the old tables but the old tables are also not wide enough for a computer.  You can tell they are just makeshift.  They are not meant for computers.

All of this is so exciting because it means the school is really trying.  They are preparing to get new computers.  All I need now is for my grant to actually go through.  Sometimes I doubt whether it will ever go through.  Not only is this just disappointing because we won’t get new computers, but it will also be very discouraging to the school because they are doing so many preparations for these computers.  I would feel really awful if we couldn’t get the grant and the computers.  I guess I should try harder to work this out with Peace Corps.  At least now, if I get the computers I’ll have desks for them.  Before, I was a little afraid if I did get computers that we would have nothing to put them on.  This is no longer a concern.  For now, we are putting one foot in front of the other and celebrating the small achievements.

No comments:

Post a Comment