Monday, April 9, 2012

April 9, 2012 11:20 AM--Book Review: The White Masai

Peace Corps is a great place to get a lot of reading in.  Some volunteers will even read an unfathomable amount of books in their two years.  And, I guess, you can say that those who don’t have power end up reading more than those with power, but nonetheless the majority of volunteers read a massive amount of books.

All this reading also leads to a plethora of books at my disposal.  Many volunteers, including myself, have Kindles, but there are still many who read paper books.  And even those with Kindles often read paper books, because there is such a wealth of good books floating around.

This past weekend I went to Jinja to celebrate Easter.  On my way to Mbarara (the very beginning of my journey), I realized that I forgot my Kindle, which at first was very upsetting.  So, when I got to town I stopped at the Peace Corps resource room to pick up another book to read for the weekend.  I ended up taking two books, with at least a handful of others that I wanted, because there were too many good books to choose from.

One of the books that I took was called The White Masai by Corinne Hofmann.  It was so good that I managed to finish it in two days (which is unheard of for me because I’m a fairly slow reader).  So if from nothing else but the swiftness at which I read this book, you can tell it was pretty good.  It’s about a Swiss woman who marries a Masai warrior.  It’s very interesting because it talks about many of the unique customs and traditions of the Masai.

So with all these reading options we’ll see what my book record becomes by the end of two years.  So far, I think I’ve read about 15 or 20 books.  I know it won’t be a Peace Corps record, because I know people who have already read more than a hundred.  But for me, maybe it will be a personal record.

No comments:

Post a Comment