Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18, 2012 12:30 PM

I’m going to Kampala tomorrow for my mid-service medical exam.  This is just a medical check-up that everyone has to get halfway through their service.  I should be there for a few days and I can’t wait!  This may not sound like the most exciting thing, but it is much more exciting than it sounds.  First of all, Peace Corps pays for me to go.  So they pay for my transport, they pay for my accommodation, and they pay me a per diem just for being there.  On top of that, I haven’t really been away from my site since I got back from vacation about a month ago.  And Kampala just has more options for me than being out here at my school.  For one, I can get almost any kind of international food I can think of, so the diet goes out the window.  And two there are plenty of forms of ex-pat entertainment (bars, movie theaters, over-sized supermarkets, etc.).  So this is really like a free mini-vacation.  Not to mention the fact that I’ll be there with a couple of friends of mine who have conveniently signed up for their mid-service medical on the same day as me (coincidence…I think not!).

Kampala is generally off-limits for Peace Corps volunteers to go to and this is usually really frustrating because sometimes you just need a break and, although you can go somewhere else for a weekend, you just don’t get the amenities of western civilization that you all too often want.

So needless to say, I’m really looking forward to the next few days.  Let’s just hope I don’t come back 10 pounds heavier and broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment