Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, 2012 10:30 AM

Although I’ve been blogging a lot recently, I don’t feel like I’ve explicitly given any update on what is going on in my life currently.  So here goes…

I’m about to finish my fourth term of teaching here (Only 2 more terms to go!) and it’s been a really mild one, to say the least.  This term I only taught Senior 5 computers.  I was supposed to teach Senior 2 as well, but we have had several student teachers here this term and one of them was given my Senior 2 classes.  So despite the fact that I haven’t done much teaching, I feel like the teaching I have been doing is pretty effective.  I’m getting more accustomed to my Senior 5 students just as they are getting used to me.  And on top of it all, my Senior 2’s keep asking when I will come back and teach them.

Other than teaching I do feel like I’ve been pretty busy with a few other things.  First of which is Camp GLOW.  We’ve been going around and around planning this and things are still going strong.  Camp starts in less than 3 weeks (it’s coming up fast…YIKES!) and I still feel like there is so much to do.  However, little by little we are getting there.  And I think overall, the project will be a huge success.

On top of Camp GLOW, there is going to be another camp held at the same time in Jinja also run by PCVs, which is for girls interested in Math and Science.  It sounds like it’s going to be an amazing camp and I’m kind of bummed I can’t go, but I am sending 7 girls there.  So from my school I am taking 5 girls to GLOW and sending 7 more to Girl Tech (the official name for the girls in math and science camp).  August is just full of camps run by Peace Corps Volunteers in Uganda this year.  Not only are West GLOW and Girl Tech happening from August 5th-11th, there is also East GLOW and Peace Camp (which is a camp for boys and girls in Northern Uganda) happening the following week.  There are some amazing initiatives put forth by our PCVs in Uganda.  I’m just upset that they aren’t more spread out so I could go to all of them.

Anyone who reads my blog with any kind of frequency should know I am still collecting money for my Computer Lab Grant Project.  The first few weeks to a month went really well, but for maybe about 3 weeks now we have received very few new donations, yet we still need about $2800 more.  Unfortunately with everything else that has been going on, I haven’t had much time to focus on this.  Nonetheless, I have confidence that we will make it to the goal eventually.  It will just take some time.  So if anyone is interested in helping with this project, feel free to promote it to your friends, family, co-workers, strangers you run into on the street, etc.  We don’t care who donates, as long as we eventually hit the goal we are aiming for.

On top of all my real work, I’ve been spending any free time I have on studying for the GRE (Graduate Record Exam).  I’m scheduled to take it on August 15th, which gives me a little less than a month left to study.  Although, because I’ve been studying for quite some time, I feel pretty good about it, but lately, with everything else that is going on, I’ve been struggling to focus.  You might be wondering why I’m taking the GRE (Good Question!).  I’m planning on applying for grad school so I can start the Fall after I get back.  A common question to ask a volunteer here who is getting closer and closer to the end of their service is “What are you going to do when you get back?”  And I’ve found that one of the most common answers is “Grad School.”  It just seems like the most natural transition for people, especially because so few of us are really interested in joining the real world.  Most of the time when I tell people that I want to go to grad school when I get back to America, they say “Don’t you already have your masters?”  The answer is “yes”, I do have my MBA, but I’m looking at getting another masters in International Economics and Development (or something similar).  Luckily for me having my MBA already is a bonus.  Many of the programs I am looking at offer joint programs to get your MBA along with the other degree you are working on.  Once I take my GRE (and hopefully ace it!) and September rolls around, I will be more seriously working on my applications.  For now, I need to focus on studying!

The day after I take my GRE Alyssa and Kevin will arrive (so no matter how I do on the GRE, I will have cause to celebrate!).  I can’t believe it is less than a month until they visit!  I can’t wait to see them and we have some really awesome things planned for while they’re here.  I’m sure I’ll write all about it and post pictures after they leave, so stay tuned.

Other than all of this news, which is fairly recent, the only other thing I have to mention is the other trips I’m planning.  I’m all set to go to Tunisia in October with my mom.  We will be there for about 10 days to celebrate my 25th birthday.  What better way to celebrate!  I’m also just about finished planning and arranging my Christmas/New Years trip in December/January.  I’m leaving here on December 17th and spending about 6 days in Cape Town.  From there we are going to Zanzibar for a week to ring in the New Year and then off to Ethiopian for about 4 days to see what they have to offer.  There are so many volunteers who are coming for all or parts of this trip, so it should be a really amazing final blow out for us before we COS!

I think that is all the updates I have for now, but I will be sure to post more as things happen.  As one final note, I want to thank everyone who has helped my computer lab project by donating.  It is with your donations that this project will be a success, so THANK YOU!

1 comment: