Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24, 2012 3:30 PM—The Computers are Here!!


“This is starting to look like a computer lab.”  These are the words the director of studies used this morning to describe the way the computer room looks now that we got all the new computers.  So, needless to say, we got the computers that we were obtaining with the grant that I was working on with Peace Corps.  The funny thing is that I never ordered them…

I had gone into a store in Mbarara called PC World two weeks ago.  I had talked to them months ago about the price of computers and now I wanted some more information so I could arrange to get these computers.  I had not gotten the money from the school yet, so I told the store that I was not quite ready to purchase them, but that hopefully I would be ready within a week or two.  Over the course of the past week I have been working with the school to get their money.  So I was very close to ordering these computers, but still not there yet.  PC World called me on Wednesday of last week asking if I was ready to order.  I told them that I wasn’t quite ready with the money yet.  Then on Saturday they delivered the computers and the technician came out today to set them up.  We have not given them any money yet, but we now have 20 new computers.  I’m sure over the next couple of weeks we will arrange to get them their money, but it was kind of nice that they brought them out of good faith.  I guess they figure that the school isn’t going anywhere and they will get paid eventually. 

So far, with the money that was raised from all the generous donations, we have 20 new Dell desktop computers with wide screen monitors.  We also got a printer for the computer lab.  We still need to get 2 more power stabilizers and we need to work on more outlets for all the computers, but we are well on our way.  It’s nice to be able to see my project coming to its full completion.

I will post pictures when we finish the project.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment