Friday, November 23, 2012

November 23, 2012 9:30 AM—Thanksgiving in Nebbi


Thanksgiving is one of the few holidays that you can actually truly celebrate here just like you would at home.  Generally all there is to it is a large meal with specific components that can (not always so easily) be made here.  This year I decided to celebrate Thanksgiving in Nebbi with a small group of friends.  My friend, Mike, lives right in Nebbi Town and he has a pretty big house on a very nice compound.  Last year I went to Gulu for Thanksgiving and there were at least 40 volunteers there.  And despite the fact that I really enjoyed last year’s Thanksgiving, it’s nice to be able to celebrate this year with a much smaller group.  I think in total there were 9 volunteers here and a few of Mike’s Ugandan friends also joined us for Thanksgiving.

So you may be wondering how exactly we can make something like a turkey without an oven.  The answer: Dutch oven.  This is where you take two very large pots, putting one right-side up and one up-side down on top of a sigiri, or charcoal stove.  And then you can put something that is in another pot in between the two large pots and this creates a type of oven for it.  So this is how we cooked our turkey.  We also had several other traditional Thanksgiving dishes and even some that weren’t so traditional.  We had mashed potatoes, stuffing (Stovetop instant stuffing!), gravy, vegetables (green beans and carrots), pumpkin soup, pasta salad, pita bread and the Ugandans brought Karo (which is millet bread, a traditional Ugandan food).  And then for desert I made pies and someone else made pumpkin bread.  I made a pineapple pie and an apple pie.  Both came out really good, so I was very pleased and I also got some rave reviews.  These were another thing we had to cook in the Dutch oven.

Pineapple Pie


Apple Pie


All in all, it was a great Thanksgiving but I’ll be glad to be home for Thanksgiving next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment