Thursday, January 17, 2013

January 17, 2013—Swearing-In


Today was the Swearing-in ceremony for the new volunteers.  As a Peace Corps volunteer trainer, I was invited to attend.  It was really nice seeing them all get to become actual volunteers.  I actually felt like it took me full circle in my Peace Corps service, especially because these are the first education volunteers to be sworn-in since all of my group swore-in.  I feel one step closer to leaving now that we have passed off the torch to the new volunteers.

Some of the nicest aspects of the ceremony and the reception were:

1.)    We got to go to the Ambassador’s house
I had never been there before nor had I ever met the Ambassador.  He also had some awesome dogs!
2.)    Many of the trainees had locally made outfits
They got local fabric and many of the girls had new dresses, plus the guys had anything from shirts to bow ties made out of local fabric
3.)    Speeches were given by a few of the volunteers
One of the volunteers even read for us “Oh The Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss.  The other two speaks included many thank yous and appreciations for everyone in Peace Corps and all of those who helped with training.
4.)    Food
The best finger foods are always given at Swearing-in including chicken and beef on a stick, spring rolls, fish fingers and mini pizzas.  They also had a variety of beverages, such as juice and soda

Overall, I think it was a great day for everyone, the new volunteers and us, as their trainers.  A few quotes that sum up the day:

“Their success is your success as well.”

Volunteer (to trainee): Are you glad to be done finally?
Me: They aren’t done.  They are just beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment