Thursday, February 28, 2013

February 28, 2013 11:40 AM—Reverse Mail Call


Most people would probably think it is the same cost or more expensive to mail something from the U.S. to Uganda as opposed to mailing something from Uganda to the U.S.  However, in fact it is more expensive to mail something from Uganda to the U.S.  A simple letter mailed here from the U.S. is 99₵, but if you were to mail that same letter from here back to the U.S. it would cost $1.31 (approximately with the current exchange rate).

This fact has always been something that I was aware of but never cared much about, because it’s such a minor difference.  Or at least I never cared until today.  As I pack up things in my house and give things away in an attempt to clean out my house before I leave, I put together a package (actually two packages) to mail home.  I knew it would be pricey, but I never realized how pricey it would be.  When I got to the post office and showed the post office lady the boxes I had to mail (one was the size of a shoe box and the other was about 1’ by 1’ by 6”) she told me how it would be cheaper if they were in one package and not two.  Then she proceeded to give me a bigger box, help me repack the packages, and basically assist me in making this as cheap as possible.  In the end, the one large package was 5.7 kilos (12.5 lbs.) and it cost me about $100 (USH265,000) to ship.  This probably would have been a bit cheaper if I was sending it from the U.S.  Was it worth it?  I’m not sure.  We’ll have to see the condition of it when it gets there and how much I really use this stuff in America.


UPDATE: My package made it to the U.S. in about a week (8 days) apparently intact!

No comments:

Post a Comment