Friday, April 26, 2013

Morocco (Part 2)


April 26, 2013 5:10 PM—Tangier

This morning I left Fez and I got a train to Tangier. This train was not as short and not as plush as the one from yesterday, but it was still nicer than any public transport I've ever had in Uganda. Anyway, I arrived in Tangier at about 3 PM. When I originally decided to come to Tangier it was mostly a logistical move. I needed to take the ferry to Spain and I can get that ferry from Tangier. So I didn't expect much when I got here. However, Tangier has already proved itself to me. It seems that in every city in Morocco they have at least one medina. So I saw the medina in Casablanca. I saw the medina in Fez and now I am in the medina in Tangier. Despite how much I really liked Casablanca when I first arrived, after seeing Fez and now Tangier, I would have to rate Casablanca at the bottom of my list. I also really enjoyed the medina in Fez, however, I'm enjoying Tangier a bit more. There was a lot to see and do in Fez, but the medina was huge and it was easy to get lost. It was also very crowded, making it easy to get run over (literally by a donkey or a cart). Here in Tangier, the medina is much smaller and easier to navigate. I was able to walk from one end to the other in about 15 minutes with no problems.

The main square
So when I arrived here in Tangier I decided to do a bit of exploring. I walked through the medina glancing in all the shops and taking in the atmosphere. When I arrived in the main square, which is where the new city and the old city meet, I decided to have an early dinner. So I stopped at a local cafe and I got a salad and some couscous. As you can imagine, the couscous in this country is amazing! I had some yesterday in Fez and I liked it so much I decided to try it again. Once I was done eating I made my way back across the medina to my hotel, which is located in the medina.

Couscous

Where I'm staying tonight is another place that just amazes me like my hotel in Casablanca. For a mere $40ish per night I got a room that looks like it belongs in a museum. I don't have a bathroom in my room this time, but there are only two rooms on my floor and no one else is staying in the other room. So the bathroom is all mine anyway. I wandered all the way to the top of the hotel where they serve breakfast and from there you can see all the way out to the water. I'm going to miss places like this because I don't think I will find too many in Europe for such a low price.



The ceiling in my room


Tomorrow morning I have to get up early early. I'm having breakfast at 6:30 so I can leave at 7 for the port. I didn't realize that the port I need to be at is about an hour drive from here. I had the option of a local (shared) taxi or a private taxi, but I chose to go private, partly because I still have quite a few Dirham (local currency) left and I know I'll lose out on an exchange rate, and partly because my French is a bit lacking (and by lacking I mean I don't know any at all). So I figured a private taxi would be easier and faster and my hotel has already arranged this for me.

I don't really want to leave Morocco. My stay here was much too short and there is so much to see. However, I am excited to get out of Africa and go to Spain and the rest of Europe.

1 comment:

  1. Hotels in DelhiAre you looking for Hotels in Delhi? Call cheap hotel in Delhi Today @+91-9810104774 or Hotels in Delhi at affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete