Monday, April 29, 2013

Spain (Part 2)


April 29, 2013 7:00 PM—Seville

I had to leave Granada this morning. I really liked it there despite the cold, rainy weather. Although, once I arrived in Seville, I realized how much better things could be. Seville is amazing! My train arrived after 12 PM and I trekked across the city in the rain to find my hostel. Again, I'm staying right in the middle of things. I guess you could say that my number one criteria for picking a hostel is the location.

After putting my stuff down and getting settled I left the hostel to explore the city. The first thing I saw was the cathedral. The Seville Cathedral is very unique. It was at originally a mosque before it was converted into a church. It is also the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, so it is definitely one of the largest cathedrals I've ever seen. While touring the cathedral I went to the top of the tower. This was also unique because it had ramps all the way to the top as opposed to stairs.

Inside the cathedral

The tomb of Christopher Columbus

The view from the top of the tower

The tower which used to be a minaret when the building was a mosque

After the cathedral, I went across the street to the Alcazar, which was originally a Muslim fortress. I really felt like I was back in Morocco with the way the architecture was. It was really an amazing structure.
Inside the Alcazar


The gardens behind the Alcazar

Once I finished touring a bit, I decided to get some lunch/early dinner. I came across a lovely little Italian restaurant and I had some pasta. By this point I was pretty exhausted so I stopped at the supermarket to get a couple snacks for later instead of getting dinner. When I'm by myself I really do get lazy sometimes. I decided to go back to my hostel and just chill out for the rest of the night.

Tomorrow I have a good portion of the day in Seville and then I have a bus to catch at around 4 PM to get to Faro. That is where I'm meeting up with Jill and Matt, who will be spending about 10 days with me. For now it is still unseasonably cold in Spain. Hopefully Portugal will be a bit warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment