Monday, May 13, 2013

Austria


May 13, 2013 8:00 PM—Salzburg

Today, again more rain. I don't think I've see it rain so much for so many days in a row in a long time. Anyway, I left Munich this morning and I took the train to Salzburg. I managed to get to my hostel by around 11 AM so I had most of the day to do what I wanted.

I started by climbing the hill up to Hohensalzburg Castle, which is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe. It is also incredibly old and has been built on to and rebuilt many times over the years. Just like many castles, it was up on a hill. I can actually see it from my hostel, but I wandered for a while while I figured out how to get to the top.

The castle

The view of the town from the top of the hill

After touring the castle, I took the funicular down. I wish I had known about the funicular from the beginning. I could have taken it up as well. It is actually one of the oldest funiculars in the world. When I got to the bottom, I immediately came across food. I got a hot dog, but not just any hot dog. It was a bratwurst hot dog with spicy mustard and ketchup. These Austrians really take hot dogs to a whole new level.


After standing outside for a few minutes while I ate (and froze), I went into the Salzburg Cathedral. This actually the site of Mozart's baptism. For those of you who didn't know, Salzzburg is known for something other than just The Sound of Music. It is also the birthplace of Mozart.



Once I saw these two sites, I was pretty much done for the day. The cold nasty weather just took it out of me. So I returned to my hostel, took a shower, took a nap, and had a little dinner. This hostel is okay, but unfortunately there are several different groups staying here, including at least two different school groups, which is a bit obnoxious. Luckily my room is no where near all this chaos, but when I'm sitting in the lobby using the internet, it gets a bit annoying.

Tomorrow I'm going on The Sound of Music tour in the morning and I currently have no plans for the afternoon. So far, I really like Salzburg. It has gone above and beyond my expectations and I haven't even gone on the tour yet.  There was even one point today when I stopped and there were church bells going off...Everywhere! It was really like being in a movie. This trip just keeps getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment