Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Czech Republic


May 29, 2013 10:00 PM—Prague

We arrived in Prague yesterday. When we got here we did a little wandering before calling it a day. However, today we set out with a little bit of a mission. We took the train this morning to Kutna Hora, which is a town about an hour outside of Prague where there is an ossuary called Sedlec Ossuary. This church is unique because it has been decorated with the bones of 40,000 people. The bones were really well arranged. They even made a chandelier that hung in the middle of the place that was all made out of bones. It was quite an interesting site and totally worth the trip out there.





After we finished seeing what we wanted to see in Kutna Hora, we made our way back to Prague. When we returned we first came back to our hostel and rested up for our next mission. When we got up and out again at around 5 PM, we walked to the Charles Bridge, across the river, and up the hill to Prague Castle. We didn't go in the castle, but we wandered around it for a little while. It is the biggest castle in the world, so it is quite a site. Once we finished there, we got something to eat as well as a little ice cream and then we called it a night.






I've been to Prague once before, but I wasn't here for long (just one night). And I always wanted to come back because I felt like I had missed something, but from what I can tell now, I don't feel like I really missed much at all. Going out to Kutna Hora was awesome, but as for Prague itself, I feel like it is over-hyped. There are way too many tourists if nothing else. I actually think there are more tourists than residents. Maybe I'm just comparing it a little too much to some of the other places I've been recently, but I was a bit disappointed in Prague this time around.

Tomorrow we are heading out and going to Poland. We start off with Krakow for a few days before moving on the Warsaw. Tomorrow is going to be a long travel day, but it will be nice when we get there.

Update (January 23, 2014): I recently found this article (if you can call it that) about Sedlec Ossuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment