Saturday, May 11, 2013

Munich


May 11, 2013 6:15 PM—Munich, Germany

So to explain my level of exhaustion after Matt and Jill left, in Lucerne on Thursday night I went to sleep just before 7 PM and I didn't wake up until 6:45 the next morning. And this was with people coming in and out of my room because it was a 12 bed dorm. That sleep was so necessary. So needless to say, I felt pretty great when I woke up yesterday morning and went to get the train to Munich.

When I arrived here yesterday afternoon, I first went to the Munich Residenz, which is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs. It was awesome to get to go in and wander through many of the rooms of this old palace. Some of the building had been destroyed, especially during world war II, but some of it is the original from when it was built centuries ago. After touring around the royal palace, I got an early dinner at a small cafe before returning to my hostel, where I did some laundry, watched a movie and went to sleep.





One of the downsides of staying in a dorm room in a hostel is that you have no control over when your roommates decide to get up and start making noise. Lucky for me, I normally sleep like a rock, so this shouldn't bother me, but I've had some pretty bad luck on this trip and it has consistently been with Asian tourists. This morning was an example of this. I had four roommates last night, 3 were Asian. The Asians got up sometime before 6 AM (because at 6 was when I finally woke up from their disturbance). They always seem to be packing things up, particularly anything in a plastic bag. They also seem to get ready/pack for at least an hour and a half. The funniest part about all of this is that if they want to talk to each other while they are doing this, they will whisper really quietly as if they haven't already woken you up with their other noise and they are trying to be considerate. I mention this now because out of the 5 dorm rooms I've stayed in so far on this trip, this has happened at least 3 times. And anyone who has ever shared a room with me before probably knows that I will sleep through most moderate noise and even loud noise sometimes, so these Asians are pretty noisy. And when I came back here this afternoon to take a nap, they managed to come back and wake me up again. This time I think they were eating a bag of potato chips.

So this morning, after getting annoyed about being woken up so early, I slowly got ready. I was going to sleep in (you can see how that worked), get breakfast at my hostel (it's free!) and then take the free walking tour of the city that is offered by a company that does free walking tours in many cities throughout Europe. The walking tour was awesome! I've done one of these free tours before in Edinburgh about 5 years ago. They are about 3 hours and all you have to do is tip the guide a little at the end. It was totally worth it. I felt like we saw everything. We saw the very overrated Glockenspeil. We also saw a few churches and the old and new town halls. The guide also provided a lot of information about the history of the city, Oktoberfest, Hitler and the Nazi party's rise to power here in Munich.

Former Pope Benedict XVI




The weather here really isn't favorable. Today it rained most of the day and I don't think it got above 50 degrees. I seriously thought about buying a heavier jacket, but it looks like my 10 day forecast is looking better than my 2 day forecast, so I don't think it would be worth it. But it seriously rained most of the day today. After the tour was over, I wandered around some of the main shopping streets in search of lunch. I ended up getting a sandwich and eating it while I walked. At that point it wasn't raining and I was really enjoying the city and just wandering aimlessly. Unfortunately the rain came back to spoil my fun. My feet hurt, it was cold and raining. I could have taken 2 of these three first-world problems, but all three was too much for me and I decided to go back to my hostel.

When I got back I attempted and somehow succeeded to take a nap. I actually managed to sleep for a couple hours despite all the noise that kept waking me up. Now I don't know what I want to do. I'm not real hungry, but if I don't eat, I'll get hungry later. So maybe I'll venture out for some food. Otherwise, I'm gonna call it a night.

It is quite a crazy day to be in Munich. The Munich football team apparently won the German championship, so there have been football fans in the streets all day. And tonight the team is supposed to be making their way through the city to celebrate and greet their fans in the main city square. This would be awesome to see, but with the rain, I'm just not up for it.

Tomorrow my plan is the go out to Neuschwanstein Castle, which is a couple hours from here by train. Let's just hope it isn't raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment