Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spain (Part 4)


May 5, 2013 10:00 PM—Barcelona

It's been a long couple days. Last night we took the night train from Lisbon to Madrid. We really wanted to upgrade to get beds on the train, but the train was fully booked so we were stuck with our original seats which weren't really comfortable. So we tried to sleep, but it was cold and uncomfortable, so it was difficult. Although I think all of us got some rest. When we got to Madrid we had a few hours to kill so we took the subway to the train station we needed to get to get our next train and then we found a cafe where we got breakfast and free wi-fi. So we spent about 2 hours there and then got our train to Barcelona.

When we got here we took the subway to our hostel and then we went to find the Sagrada Familia. The Sagrada Familia is a church that has been under construction since the late 19th century and it is Barcelona's most recognizable landmark. I had been there before when I was in Barcelona about 12 years ago, but I was really glad I got the chance to go back. I don't remember much of it from my first visit. It is such a unique looking church. It is much more modern than many churches in Europe. They are trying to finish the construction by the centennial anniversary of the architect's death which will be in 2026. We even took the elevator up to one of the towers and got a really good view of the city.





After seeing the Sagrada Familia we went to get dinner. We ended up at a cafe in some random square that we came across, where we all got Paella and Sagria, which was amazing! Then we just headed back towards our hostel to shower and turn in for the night, because we have a train tomorrow at 7:15 AM. So tomorrow we are heading off to Lyon. It will take us all day to get there, but it should be very different there. Saying goodbye to the Iberian Peninsula is not easy, but it needs to be done. I've had fun, but tomorrow we are off to bigger and better things.


Note: All my pictures from today were taken on my iPhone because I forgot to bring my camera on our afternoon adventure. So I apologize if they aren't that good. My camera takes much better photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment