Thursday, May 9, 2013

Switzerland (Part 2)


May 9, 2013 5:00 PM—Lucerne

This morning Matt and Jill left very early to go to the airport to slowly make their way back to America. Me, on the other hand, I didn't get up quite as early, but I still left Geneva this morning on the train to Lucerne. I ended up making it to Lucerne at around 11 AM at which time I trekked across town to my hostel. This time my hostel is kind of far away from most things. It is in a really quiet residential neighborhood. I suspect there really just aren't many hostels in Lucerne.

After dropping off my stuff I went back to town to check things out. I ended up making my way all the way to Mount Pilatus, which is quite a trip. There is a myth that this is the final resting place of Pontius Pilate. It is also supposed to provide a great view of the entire Lucerne Bay. To get there I had to take a train to Alpnachstad where I could switch trains to take the world's steepest cogwheel train up to the top of the mountain. As it turned out, it was extremely cloudy at the top so I couldn't see anything, but there was snow on top to see. Shortly after getting up there I decided there wasn't much point in staying up there if I couldn't see anything, so I made my way back down, but not the way I went up. This involved taking a cable car about a third of the way down and then getting a gondola the rest of the way. This left me in Kriens, where I could get a bus back to Lucerne.


The train to the top of the mountain

The cables from the cable car disappearing into the clouds

Gondolas



At the time I saw this whole ordeal as a huge, expensive bummer. But look back on it just a few hours later, I'm realizing that it was an interesting adventure. I did actually get a really good view of Lucerne and the lake on my way back in the gondola and taking the train up was also pretty cool. I guess I just wish I had worn warmer clothes. I didn't bring my jacket and I was wearing my flip flops. Not appropriate attire for the top of a snow-capped mountain.


Europe's longest covered bridge

After I got back to Lucerne, I walked around the water front just a bit and then decided to just call it a day. I've had a long few days and I'm pretty tired. I figure I'll get a good nights sleep tonight before heading to Munich tomorrow morning. Overall, Switzerland was awesome! Two days definitely doesn't do it justice. I think this may actually be the best part of my trip so far.

1 comment: