Tuesday, June 4, 2013


June 3, 2013 5:30 PM—En route to Hamburg

What a day! This was not quite the day I expected, but it turned out pretty good nonetheless. We had originally planned to spend this afternoon in Hamburg, but things went a little arye and we ended up spending the afternoon in Berlin instead. So here's my story of how we got to where we are right now.

We left Warsaw this morning at 5:50 AM on the train to Berlin. We were going to take the 11:25 train from Berlin to Hamburg, but our first train was about 10 minutes late getting in and we missed our train to Hamburg. No big deal. We'll just take the next one that leaves at 12:16. So we got some lunch and went to find the next train. Turns out that train was going to be 55 minutes late. After stewing over things for about 10 minutes, we decided to bag the idea of going to Hamburg and instead we would spend the afternoon in Berlin. And our plan was to take the 5:24 PM train from Berlin to Buechen where we could then get the train to Luebeck. I'll tell you how that didn't work either, but first, Berlin...

The Berlin main train station is really close to the center of the city. So we started off by walking across the river to the Reichstag, which is the German parliament building. From there we went to see Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial, and some of the reminisce of the Berlin Wall. After all that we took the subway from Potsdammer Platz to Alexanderplatz. From there we went to see both the Catholic cathedral as well as the Protestant cathedral (the Berliner Dome). Then we finally made our way all the way back to the train station. I was quite proud of myself today, however. Because I fit almost everything that I did in about 5 days the last time I was in Berlin into just one afternoon. Dad really got the whirlwind tour of Berlin and I really enjoyed coming back.

The Reichstag

Brandenburg Gate

The Berlin Wall

Berlin Cathedral

So now for the rest of my train story. We arrived back at the station at about 4 PM, so we had an ice cream and we wandered around for a while. When we were almost ready to find our platform, we went to get our bags from the locker. Then we were going to look at where our train was supposed to be and get Dunkin' Donuts before heading to the track. However, when we went to look for our platform, we noticed that our train was going to be 90 minutes late. And I already knew that we would miss our connection and never make the ferry on time, so we had to do some quick thinking. Luckily I've been traveling long enough to know where you can normally find free wi-fi and one of those places is Starbucks. So up the escalator we went to the Starbucks to do some fast research. I quickly found that we could connect in Hamburg instead of Buechen, but the train was then leaving in 4 minutes. So we forgot about Dunkin' Donuts, found our track, got on the train and found some free seats. So now we are on our way to Hamburg where we connect to get to Buechen and we should actually still be arriving at the same time we were originally supposed to. Let's just hope we don't have any more delayed trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment