Sunday, June 23, 2013

UK (Part 2)


June 23, 2013 3:30 PM—York

This morning I left Newcastle, but only after consuming the sumptuous free breakfast I got at the Marriott. I took the train about an hour south to York. Once I arrived and found my hostel. I went to explore for a few hours because my room wasn't going to be ready until 2 PM.

I started off by going to York Castle. Unfortunately, the only part of the castle that is remaining is one of the towers, Clifford's Tower. So I went in the tower and climbed to the top. From there I got a pretty good view of the city, despite the fact that the tower wasn't very high (that gives you an idea of how big York is).



After climbing the tower I walked back down to the main part of town, where I went to the Jorvik Viking Centre Museum. This museum took you through the history and the presence of the vikings in York over a millennia ago. This museum was made even better because so much of it was interactive and there were even guides, of sorts, at certain points in the museum to explain things to you and let you hold some of the relics. The viking city was unusually preserved under the present day York and was discovered from Archaeological digs done in the past 50 years.

Tomorrow morning I'm planning on staying in York so I can see a few more things here before heading to Manchester tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment