Monday, June 24, 2013

UK (Part 3)


June 24, 2013 8:00 PM—Manchester

This morning I had a second go at York before I left. I started off by going to York Minster, which is one of the largest cathedrals in the UK and a huge part of Christianity in Northern England. For a church there was just so much to see there. Not only was there the church itself, but there were a few different exhibitions they had set up in the church. First of all the cathedral has one of the largest stained glass windows in the world. Unfortunately, this window was fully removed for restoration. However, unlike any other church that would just tell you “oh well, come back next time”, York Minister set up an exhibition on how they clean and restore the glass. They also had certain panels that were already restored on display so you could look at them close up. There were also touch screen stations where you could have every single pane explained to you and in such a large window, that's a lot of information. In addition to all of this there was an even bigger exhibition in the church crypt about the history of the site and the church, as well as many artifacts. Normally a church doesn't take long to see, but I was in York Minister for over an hour an a half. Every time I thought I was finished there was something else to discover.





Once I finished at York Minster, I decided to go back to Jorvik. When you pay to go into Jorvik once, you can take your receipt back and go in as many times as you want for a year. I wanted to go back because when I went yesterday it was really crowded and I was getting tired, so I felt like I missed somethings. Therefore I now feel like I definitely saw everything.

I finally left York just before 1 PM. I took the train to Manchester, which took about an hour and a half. When I arrived I found the right bus and got on my way to my hostel. Manchester is an interesting town. It seems to have a huge foreign population. I think I saw more international food establishments than local ones. I also think I saw more shops selling saris than anything else. This along with the size of Manchester (it is the 3rd largest city in the UK based on population) really reminded me of London.

Tomorrow I'm going to see Old Trafford. After that I'll be heading out of Manchester bound for Liverpool

No comments:

Post a Comment