Friday, January 17, 2014

I Must Be Completely Out of My Mind

At the beginning of this week, I had my first class for the semester.  Going into this semester, I was fully aware of what I signed up for, but it wasn't until towards the end of this first week of classes that I started to fully understand what that means.

Back in August of last year was when I scored this internship where I am currently working, and over the course of the Fall semester, I hemmed and hawed over how many classes I was going to take this semester considering I would be working full time.  I also had to decide whether or not I was taking my internship for credit (which adds an additional online class component to my work) or if I would take it for no credit.  So over the course of about 4 months, I stewed over my options.  And eventually, against the advice of my adviser, I not only decided to take on 3 classes (a full time course load), I also decided to take my internship for credit making it my fourth class.  Now four classes without working would be quite a feat, but I'm a motivated person and I actually think I made this decision partly to prove my adviser wrong.

So now here I am in my first week of class and my second week of work and how do I feel?  Completely Overwhelmed.

Oh, did I mention I also still have my fellowship for my scholarship where I'm supposed to be dedicating five hours a week to working with the Peace Corps Archive at the American University Library.  I am also still an active member of the Graduate Student Council and the Council for International Economic Relations.

My classes this semester are actually all rather similar.  I'm taking International Economics, Development Economics, and Econometrics (plus my internship class).

Now despite the fact that I'm feeling very overwhelmed by all this, I am also seeing how this is doable.  It also doesn't help that I love all my classes and don't want to drop any, I love my internship and feel that the work I'm doing is totally worthwhile, and I enjoy being active in my school and program councils.  So, needless to say, I'm not dropping anything and I'm going to stick it out.  This may end up being the term from hell, but at the same time, wouldn't it just be so gratifying if I did really well in all my classes and loved every minute of it (...well maybe not every minute).

So if I get too caught up in work and class and I don't manage to post on here for a significant amount of time, don't worry.  I didn't go totally a-wall or drop off the face of the planet.  I'm probably just trying to catch up and not feel so overwhelmed.

For now I'm going to leave you with this Ted Talk that was assigned as an optional resource for my Development Economics class.  It's pretty interesting and it may give you a small taste of what my next few months may look like.


No comments:

Post a Comment