Tuesday, January 21, 2014

There is Never Enough Time

I find it a bit ironic to be writing this post on an unexpected day off.  However, I guess I also find it ironic that the Federal Government and American University have both shut down for snow and it isn't even snowing out right now.  So anyway, I feel like this is an extension of my last post about my current busy schedule.

I always feel like I have this problem of time.  There is never enough of it.  If I have days to kill (where I don't have work or class), I find something to do with them.  I go somewhere, read a book, or catch up with friends.  I never have the feeling of being one of those people that finds myself doing nothing but watching TV all day mindlessly.  Every day has an agenda.  I often dread the days where nothing is accomplished, even if my accomplishments are nothing more than spending time with people and having fun.

I keep a calendar (Google calendar) and it has turned into my life.  I would be lost without it.  I could tell you where I'll be in six months and what I'll be doing based on my calendar.  Now that a new year has started and I am beginning to have a better outlook of the year ahead, I'm making plans for trips and weekends.  I'm deciding what I'm going to do with my summer and where I'm going to be.  And even though I may have a week off here or a month off there, I never seem to actually have a day off, but that's how I like it.  Is life really worth living if you aren't doing anything at all?

Last year, when I was finishing up my Peace Corps service, I travelled around Uganda for a month.  Then I travelled Europe for another two and a half months.  Once I got back to the states, I thought maybe there would be some down time, but no.  I booked up my schedule solid.  From the time I arrived home in July until when I moved at the end of August, I was constantly spending time with people, travelling, packing (to move), etc.  And once I moved, I was unpacking and starting classes.  In fact, between when I left my house in Uganda on March 15th of last year until I moved to DC on August 15th, I didn't spend more than four consecutive nights in any one given place.  I spent five months of being a nomad.  I didn't feel like I had much of a home and I never felt like I had a day off, but I loved every minute of it.  Every day was different, which made every day exciting.

So as I sit here figuring out how I'm going to spend my unexpected day off (probably with getting ahead on my school work), I want to leave you with this:

If you find yourself with nothing to do, make an agenda for your day of things you could do.  It can be as simple as reading a magazine or going food shopping.  You don't want everything to be work.  Have some fun.  Nobody should really have a day where they actually do nothing.  If you find that there is never enough time in life, you know you are probably living life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment