Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Post-Grad School Life

I know it's been a while...but it has been an insane year for me.  Aside from finishing grad school, I also started working for the federal government again last August.  Up until when I graduated in May, I had so much to do all the time I couldn't even think, let alone write about it.

That being said, I'm back!

So first a little catch-up.  I believe I last left off towards the end of the school year last year.  After the Spring semester ended, I spent the first half of my summer taking an online course.  The second half was spent relaxing and waiting.  There is nothing worse that a government HR department.  It took them nearly two months to officially offer me a job.  Two months!  That was after my office had already informally offered me the position.  Then I had to wait another month for the revalidation of my security clearance.  So I finally started work August 25, 2014.  Coincidentally, that was the same day my Fall semester classes started.  I was back to being a government intern, but at least this time they were paying me for my services, which was a breath of fresh air that I hadn't seen in a long time.

The Fall went well and the Spring followed.  I was working 4 days a week and going to school full time.  There wasn't much else going on.  There was no time!  But needless to say, I eventually made it to graduation, which was one of those milestones in life that you can never quite match.  Also upon graduating, I was offered the option to convert to a full time civil servant in my office.  So at the fear of not finding a job elsewhere and being content enough for the time being, I took them up on the offer.  Within a month I found myself with a real person job and it felt good!

A few days after graduation, I left DC for a family vacation to Israel. I know...not your normal family vacation destination.  But then again, my family is not quite normal and I prefer it that way. (I'll write a longer post about this trip later.)

Once I returned from Israel, I was only back for about a month before my work decided to send me to China on a temporary assignment for 3 weeks.  I've been to a lot of places, but I had never been to China or anywhere in that part of Asia.  So this was an exciting trip for me.  Not only that, but I rarely have someone else footing the bill for me to travel.  A free trip to a place I had never been?  Of course I was excited!  (I'll write more about this later too.)

I just returned a few days ago and I'm finally getting the feel for this post-grad school life.  It's a funny thing to have free time, especially when you haven't had any in so long.  It's been an adjustment, but not a bad one.  Hopefully part of my free time will be used to blog a bit more frequently than once a year.  We'll see if I hold to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment