Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Year's Resolution: Making Ourselves Feel Bad About Ourselves in March?

Starting a new year is an interesting thing.  It is a time when people seem to focus on making changes in their lives and vowing to be better than they were in the previous year.  But really, what made things so different?  Are we really that much farther away from the previous year on January 1st than we were on December 31st?

I've always taken a little bit of issue with the idea of celebrating New Year's Eve.  It is one of those holidays where everyone tries to make you feel lame when you don't have plans or you don't stay up until midnight.  As time goes on, I've started to care less and less about what others think.  Due to this lack of caring, I had a pretty great New Year's this year.  I reorganized the furniture in my bedroom, I watched a movie, and I went to bed at 10:30.  This was also the first year I managed to not feel guilty about my choose of plans.  In the past, I usually tried to make plans and sometimes I would succeed.  But then I would be tired or the idea of having a good time would be too forced and my night would end up being disappointing.  I'm thinking next year it might be nice to spend the evening with a few close friends as a time to enjoy those that you love (with no pressure to make it to midnight), but maybe this will change over the course of the year.

As for changing ourselves in the new year, I often wonder where this comes from.  When did people decide that January 1st was a time to celebrate and a time to vow to better?  I guess this question can go along with others like: why is the Spring a time for major cleaning? or, why is Thanksgiving and Christmas a time to be with family?  Over the years, I've started to notice the insignificance of many of our commonly celebrated holiday.  Honestly, there were some holidays that I never understood; queue Groundhogs Day?!

Sometimes I think the idea of New Year's resolutions and being better people is a matter of getting swept up with the crowd.  As others do it, you feel the need to follow along.  It seems like a good idea so we all try it.  Personally, the timing was just right for me to call my diet a New Year's resolution.  I was waiting until after all the eating of the holidays before I got back on the band wagon.  Although the problem with most people is that they don't keep their resolutions all year.  Maybe they work out for a couple months and then quit.  How does this make us better people?  If you ask me, New Year's resolutions typically make us eventually feel worse about ourselves because we prove to be quitters.  I guess this is partly why I can't consider my diet a New Year's resolution, because it will probably only take me a couple months to reach my goal weight.  Instead, it is just a diet where the beginning of it happened to coincide with New Year's (in fact, I actually started dieting on December 29th).

So as you make your New Year's resolutions this year, seriously think about what you're vowing to do.  Is it doable?  Will it make you feel better about yourself?  Are you doing it for you?  If you answered no to any of these questions, I'd suggest rethinking whether or not you really need a New Year's resolution this year at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment