Thursday, July 21, 2016

"Must-Go" List

Any one who has read any bit of my blog has probably quickly realized that I love to travel.  It is one of the things I enjoy the most and I like to think it is one of the things I do best.  I'm also always coming up with new places that top my "must-go" list.  I have an infinite amount of places that I would love to go.  As time goes on, I start to realize the wonders of places I didn't know existed or didn't know much about.  Before I know it, places I've newly discovered are topping my "must-go" list.

Bagan, Myanmar (AKA Burma)
After noticing this happening more and more, I began to think a little more philosophically.  In theory, there are places out there that you don't know you want to go to, because you don't yet know they exist.  But does that mean you don't want to go?  Maybe you just don't know that you want to go yet.

As an avid traveler, I'm constantly discovering new marvels that this world has to offer and this continues to cause my "must-go" list to expand.  However, I'm starting to think that what I'm discovering along the way is the list itself.  I want to go to these places, so they must already be on the list.  I just don't know that they are there.  I can't see them.

It's kind of like that question: "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?"  My question is: "If there are places I don't know exist, does that mean I don't want to go?"  I already know the answer: Of course, not!
Milford Sound, New Zealand


As most people who know me well could tell you, I would love to go anywhere.  It doesn't take much convincing.  So odds are that if there is a place that I don't know exists, I probably want to go.  I always want to discover the unknown.  The places that I know well are the ones I want to visit the least.

I think my reality is that I will spend my life discovering the places that were on my "must-go" list all along.  I just have to keep searching to make them visible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment