Sunday, May 7, 2017

A Simple Answer

Often time when people find out how much I've traveled, they ask me "What is your favorite country?"  At first I struggled with this question.  I felt stupid not knowing which country I liked best or enjoyed the most.  But finally, I realized that I don't necessarily need to have one favorite country.  Many countries and regions are unique to themselves and can't be compared in the way people think when they ask me that question.  I feel like I simply have countries that I like and countries that I don't like.  Granted, it's not quite as black and white as that.  In the end, I guess I could recommend a country or destination based on what you are looking for in a vacation.  Or I could tell you why I enjoyed a certain place.  I could maybe qualify favorites based on region, but even that doesn't seem particularly fair.

Ultimately, the answer is: I don't know.  Just as when I came back from Peace Corps and people would ask me: "How was it?", I can't answer these questions in a few words as most people want me to.  I can't sum up two years of my life in one sentence and I can't give you a simple answer as to which country is my favorite.  It's just not that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment